Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> How to get UTF8 character array in Pro*C from a VARCHAR2 column from the database with character set equals AL32UTF8?

How to get UTF8 character array in Pro*C from a VARCHAR2 column from the database with character set equals AL32UTF8?

From: OracleServer <helge.hauan_at_applica.no>
Date: 4 May 2007 13:19:35 -0700

Hi.
- Oracle 10g Server

In the database there is a table <equipm> with the column <nameOfuser> VARCHAR2(20). In order to support multibyte character encoding in the existing database the VARCHAR2 column has been extended to VARCHAR2(60).

I'm using Pro*C to to implement the application as interface towards the database.

Previously same column was selected into a VARCHAR(20) variable in the .pc file. Now I have to change this in order to get the UTF8 representation octets of the characters. As far as I can see it is not possible to use the utext type as proposed in the Oracle guide because this is an unsigned short type. Am I right?

When I use select dump(nameOfuser, 1016) from equipm in SQL+ it returns the UTF8 octets as expected.

Does anybody have some other (hopefully better) proposal than look into the Oracle Database Globalization Support Guide? From my point of view this guide contains several faults.

BR Helge Hauan Received on Fri May 04 2007 - 15:19:35 CDT