Re: best solution for backup with archivelog mode

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 08:37:25 -0700

Andrea wrote:
> On 30 Apr, 20:16, mark.reming..._at_gmail.com wrote:

>> I don't think you should be deleting archlogs *before* a backup,
>> whether it's the oldest archlog or not, and whether it's a offline or
>> online backup.  Always wait until after the backup completes before
>> you delete anything.  Assuming the database shutdown was clean (i.e.,
>> a "shutdown immediate" completed without errors) then you can often
>> nuke all archlogs created prior to the backup.  The exceptions are
>> when using logminer technologies like Streams and DataGuard, because
>> the capture process tends to start scraping a few SCN before the
>> database's SCN, and that could make Capture go looking in the
>> archlogs.  To determine when it's cool to nuke an archlog query
>> DBA_REGISTERED_ARCHIVED_LOG where column PURGEABLE = 'YES'.  RMAN and
>> Streams work with this view.
>>

> thanks for your answer, but i've seen DBA_REGISTERED_ARCHIVED_LOG on
> my 10g DB, but column PURGEABLE there isn't
>
> desc DBA_REGISTERED_ARCHIVED_LOG
> Nome Nullo? Tipe
> ----------------------------------------- --------
> ----------------------------
> CONSUMER_NAME NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
> SOURCE_DATABASE VARCHAR2(128)
> THREAD# NOT NULL NUMBER
> SEQUENCE# NOT NULL NUMBER
> FIRST_SCN NOT NULL NUMBER
> NEXT_SCN NOT NULL NUMBER
> FIRST_TIME DATE
> NEXT_TIME DATE
> NAME VARCHAR2(513)
> MODIFIED_TIME DATE
> DICTIONARY_BEGIN VARCHAR2(3)
> DICTIONARY_END VARCHAR2(3)
SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production on Wed May 2 08:36:35 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> SELECT table_name

   2 FROM dba_tab_columns
   3 WHERE column_name = 'PURGEABLE';

TABLE_NAME