Re: 10g to RAC - what to do to avoid data duplication ?

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 May 2007 08:37:19 -0700

On May 2, 11:18 am, pdxkev..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > My question was do you have a link showing this in the Oracle docs
> > and showing that it is supported?
>
> A link to show ASM on NFS is supported?
>
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > University of Washington
> > damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace x with u to respond)
> > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

Whether it is supported or not, my question would be why would I want to do this? I assume you use losetup to create loopback devices on NFS, for which you then create raw device mappings and pass to ASM? What am I buying by doing this? I know the benefits of ASM in regards to failure groups, balancing, etc., as we use it pretty heavily, but it is on EMC storage.

What am I getting by creating one layer of abstraction (NFS), another layer with losetup for the loop devices, and then ASM on top of that? That seems like a lot of things to break, or am I missing something??

Thanks,

Steve Received on Wed May 02 2007 - 10:37:19 CDT