Re: best solution for backup with archivelog mode

From: Andrea <netsecurity_at_tiscali.it>
Date: 2 May 2007 05:39:31 -0700

On 30 Apr, 20:16, mark.reming..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> I don't think you should be deleting archlogs *before* a backup,
> whether it's the oldest archlog or not, and whether it's a offline or
> online backup. Always wait until after the backup completes before
> you delete anything. Assuming the database shutdown was clean (i.e.,
> a "shutdown immediate" completed without errors) then you can often
> nuke all archlogs created prior to the backup. The exceptions are
> when using logminer technologies like Streams and DataGuard, because
> the capture process tends to start scraping a few SCN before the
> database's SCN, and that could make Capture go looking in the
> archlogs. To determine when it's cool to nuke an archlog query
> DBA_REGISTERED_ARCHIVED_LOG where column PURGEABLE = 'YES'. RMAN and
> Streams work with this view.

thanks for your answer, but i've seen DBA_REGISTERED_ARCHIVED_LOG on my 10g DB, but column PURGEABLE there isn't

desc DBA_REGISTERED_ARCHIVED_LOG

 Nome                                      Nullo?   Tipe
 ----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------
 CONSUMER_NAME                             NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
 SOURCE_DATABASE                                    VARCHAR2(128)
 THREAD#                                   NOT NULL NUMBER
 SEQUENCE#                                 NOT NULL NUMBER
 FIRST_SCN                                 NOT NULL NUMBER
 NEXT_SCN                                  NOT NULL NUMBER
 FIRST_TIME                                         DATE
 NEXT_TIME                                          DATE
 NAME                                               VARCHAR2(513)
 MODIFIED_TIME                                      DATE
 DICTIONARY_BEGIN                                   VARCHAR2(3)
 DICTIONARY_END                                     VARCHAR2(3)