Unique index vs. unique constraint

From: Neron <bl.nero_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 May 2007 01:30:12 -0700

Hello,

I was trying to find out about differences between these two and I've come across information that Oracle deprecated creating unique index in favor of unique constraints. My problem is that there seems to be no way to define an UNIQUE constraint basing on function-based index (such as UPPER(some_column)) and the only way is to define an unique index. Does this deprecation mean that in future there will be no way to have a case-insensitive uniqueness of a column without using triggers and helper columns, or am I missing something?

I'm using Oracle 9.2

Bartosz Received on Wed May 02 2007 - 03:30:12 CDT