Re: DBMS_UTILITY.FORMAT_ERROR_BACKTRACE issue

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 14:03:47 -0700

Ziad wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation.
> hmm, so any quick solution for this if I need to capture the exact
> line number? I tried to put a begin/end inside the cursor and have
> the exception when others there. That worked and gave me the exact
> line number, but we have over 40 cursors and it's a pain adding a
> begin/end inside each cursor. It's also a pain switching them to open
> loop fetch.

Well unless you have some antique version of Oracle you might want to concentrate on getting rid of those cursor loops. They are slow and inefficient.

Go to Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org and look up Array Processing. A BULK COLLECT with a LIMIT clause and FORALL will improve your performance and exception handling by a substantial margin.

There is a demo of NESTED LOOPs using array processing in the library as well.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington