Re: DBMS_UTILITY.FORMAT_ERROR_BACKTRACE issue

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 08:23:40 -0700

Ziad wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using 10g, and having a problem with backtrace when it comes to
> giving me the correct line number where the error happened. The
> problem seems to be related to for loop cursors.

It is the result of the fact that Oracle knows when it found the issue not necessarily where it exists.

For example:

SELECT 'this || is'' || a potential problem' FROM dual;

well actually it isn't as it is syntactically correct.

But one might well argue that it should have/could have been intended to be something else. It is just the nature of the beast.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington