Node Affinity Awareness = faster disk access in a custer. WHAT?

From: Scott <nospam_at_nomail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:04:43 -0400

I was reading the docs and came across the following

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/rac.102/b14197/backup.htm#sthref631

In some cluster database configurations, some nodes of the cluster have faster access to certain datafiles than to other datafiles. RMAN automatically detects this, which is known as node affinity awareness. When deciding which channel to use to back up a particular datafile, RMAN gives preference to the nodes with faster access to the datafiles that you want to back up. For example, if you have a three-node cluster, and if node 1 has faster read/write access to datafiles 7, 8, and 9 than the other nodes, then node 1 has greater node affinity to those files than nodes 2 and 3.

I am having a hard time accecpting this statement mainly because I don't want to believe it is true, but then why is it printed. (Maybe they get around it by saying "some cluster databases") Does anyone have any experience with this issue and where it may show up?

Thanks
Scott. Received on Mon Apr 30 2007 - 19:04:43 CDT