Re: Oracle 10g RAC performance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:03:58 -0700

joel garry wrote:

>> You will get no argument from me on that. Nor would I argue that
>> training, or a mentor, are essential for a successful design and
>> deployment. But that has been true of every major technology advance
>> I have witnessed in the last 30 years.

> The real question is, how many of those advances are pushed to those
> who really don't need them? (And of course, there is a corollary
> question of those who stall at particular technologies, only to need
> to catch up later, we certainly see that a lot in this ng).

I'd like to step back and suggest some consideration with respect to two things you wrote. The first is the word "push" and the second is the question of "need."

Anyone that lets any salesperson into their office knows the nature of the relationship. So is the word "push" really appropriate? Are CTOs and DBAs that incapable of evaluating the "need" for 7x24?

I see a lot here in this group about the added complexities, etc., of RAC but that is not mirrored in my phone ringing with requests for support. Does that mean that we're that good or that our customers are that lucky? I doubt either. I think RAC is a solid technology when implemented on the right hardware in the right way.

I'm not saying it isn't more complex but from my experience well trained people have stable environments.

>> Of course there are self-taught DBAs that are very good. But lets be
>> honest and acknowledge the majority couldn't describe how an Oracle
>> transaction works if given a snap test.

> Not to mention if they can describe how a snap works if given a
> transaction
> test :-)
>
>>> Very few small companies are willing to hire
>>> a full time DBA just to manage a database.
>> Out here in Seattle that is not true but it may be the case where you
>> are located. Here if they are willing to step up to the plate for
>> Oracle ... they are willing to step up to the plate for a DBA or 500.

> This kind of caught my attention: my observation (Southern
> Californai)
> jibes with Mladen's. I couldn't help but wonder if the Seattle area
> is
> different because any smaller shop would likely be MS...

You might well be correct but I can only speak from my experience here where I am located.

Speaking of which when one local aerospace firm decided to implement the Oracle grid they requested a quote to train 300 DBAs. And that is not the entire team.

>>> Wang Trading was a small hedge fund in Norwalk,
>>> CT that got rid of both Oracle and me. That sort of things tends to catch
>>> my attention. Now, they're out of business, I have no idea why.
>> I could hazard a guess ... and I will ... bad decision making. A better
>> management team likely would have kept both Oracle and you.

> Another Wang once was a big computer company. Must be a jinx there.
> I guess the moral must be if you have a wang, keep it private.

A lot of fathers will appreciate that advise.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington