Re: how to find if instance started by pfile or spfile

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 00:01:51 +0200

esthershensh_at_yahoo.com schrieb:

> On Apr 24, 4:42 pm, Maxim Demenko <mdeme..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> esthershe..._at_yahoo.com schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a very stupid question to ask..
>>> is there any way to find which parameter file started the oracle
>>> instance?
>>> For example, is that pfile or spfile? location of the file ?
>>> can I find those info from dictionary views ?
>>> your help is very appreciated.
>>> Thanks.
>> Your question is a little bit vague,provided the fact that a pfile can
>> have location to spfile as valid parameter, in that case, values will be
>> taken from both, pfile and spfile.
>>
>> But you probably are interested in v$parameter.isdefault='FALSE' and
>> v$spparameter.isspecified='TRUE'
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Maxim
>
> Thanks for your reply. I took a look at those V$s, I'm afraid I did
> not get what mean, could you give me an example for it ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

SELECT * FROM V$SPPARAMETER WHERE ISSPECIFIED='TRUE'; would show you values taken from spfile, if any - then spfile was used to start instance.

If the query above return no rows, then
SELECT * FROM V$PARAMETER WHERE ISDEFAULT='FALSE' AND ISMODIFIED='FALSE' will show values specified in pfile (well, there may be as well specified default values, but it doesn't make sense at least for me).

For most configurations that should be enough to see, whether pfile or spfile was used (or you can use advice given you by Sybrand as well).

Best regards

Maxim Received on Mon Apr 30 2007 - 17:01:51 CDT