Log apply services with RMAN

From: <sfaehn_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2007 13:08:19 -0700

I've just re-synced our Oracle 9.2.0.6 / Solaris 10 standby server. Replication was broken for a while. I had to to a recover automatic standby database since for some reason the secondary server could not retrieve over the network the archived redo log files it needed. I started up managed standby database disconnect from session. Every thing look well.

But now when I run the following SQL statement on the standby server, I see one of the logs hasn't been applied (sequence 51112) as seen below:

select SEQUENCE# ,FIRST_TIME NEXT_CHANGE#,APPLIED from v$archived_log order by 1;

    51110 30-APR-07 YES

     51111 30-APR-07 YES
     51112 30-APR-07 NO
     51113 30-APR-07 YES
     51114 30-APR-07 YES
     51115 30-APR-07 YES
     51116 30-APR-07 YES

I tried to manually register the log file which physically was on the standby server using :

alter database register logfile '/oracle/PRD/saparch/ PRDarch1_51112.dbf''

and I get the following error :

Register archivelog /oracle/PRD/saparch/PRDarch1_51112.dbf already exists.

So I ran the sql command ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE CANCEL;
Followed by
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE DISCONNECT FROM SESSION; I run the script from above to query v$archived_log yet sequence 51112 still shows as not applied. I can open the standby database in read only mode (something I thought would generate an error that media recover was needed) but it opened read only.

Also, on the secondary server the following query returns no rows.

SELECT * FROM V$ARCHIVE_GAP; Running this query on the standby :

 SELECT MESSAGE FROM V$DATAGUARD_STATUS; The output starts with sequence 51116.

Trying to run recovery on the standby server:

SQL> ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE CANCEL; SQL> recover automatic standby database
ORA-00279: change 2826047002 generated at 04/30/2007 15:53:05 needed for thread 1

ORA-00289: suggestion : /oracle/PRD/saparch/PRDarch1_51130.dbf
ORA-00280: change 2826047002 for thread 1 is in sequence #51130
ORA-00278: log file '/oracle/PRD/saparch/PRDarch1_51130.dbf' no longer
needed
for this recovery
ORA-16145: archival for thread# 1 sequence# 51130 in progress

Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}

 /oracle/PRD/saparch/PRDarch1_51112.dbf

ORA-16145: archival for thread# 1 sequence# 51130 in progress

Anyone have any ideas why that sequence is show as not applied? Received on Mon Apr 30 2007 - 15:08:19 CDT