Re: 10g to RAC - what to do to avoid data duplication ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:35:27 -0700

pdxkevinc_at_gmail.com wrote:

>>> Actually, BAARF gang fell asleep. If you want to learn what is ASM and
>>> why you don't need it,
>> ASM is a license requiremen for the implementation of RAC with Standard
>> Edition.
>>
>> Telling people they probably don't need it might lead some to violate
>> their license.

> There are still people that are unaware that ASM doesn't work for
> anything except for database files. I don't tell people they don't
> need ASM as much as I remind people they will still need raw or CFS
> for clusterware files and filesystems for all the other stuff. What I
> do suggest is that you choose a storage type that satisfies 100% of
> all your database needs and go with it. It turns out that the only
> storage type that fits the bill across all Unix variants (including
> Linux) is NFS as served up by a NAS device.

I agree and no doubt NetApp would agree as they are the only approved source for the CFS.

I agree and no doubt NetApp would agree as they are the only approved source for the CFS.

Some people, however, have EMC, LSI, Fujitsu, Hitachi, etc. and do not have that option.

> If you choose SE you can still use ASM on NFS...

Please post a link about this?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington