Re: 10g to RAC - what to do to avoid data duplication ?

From: <pdxkevinc_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2007 09:55:43 -0700

> > Actually, BAARF gang fell asleep. If you want to learn what is ASM and
> > why you don't need it,
>
> ASM is a license requiremen for the implementation of RAC with Standard
> Edition.
>
> Telling people they probably don't need it might lead some to violate
> their license.

There are still people that are unaware that ASM doesn't work for anything except for database files. I don't tell people they don't need ASM as much as I remind people they will still need raw or CFS for clusterware files and filesystems for all the other stuff. What I do suggest is that you choose a storage type that satisfies 100% of all your database needs and go with it. It turns out that the only storage type that fits the bill across all Unix variants (including Linux) is NFS as served up by a NAS device.

If you choose SE you can still use ASM on NFS...I think think being forced to do so is weird, but at least you would have 100% of your file needs covered with that approach as well. I think the following captures my point:

http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2007/02/08/real-application-clusters-the-shared-database-architecture-for-loosly-coupled-clusters/ Received on Mon Apr 30 2007 - 11:55:43 CDT