Re: easy ways to know oracle is up

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:20:59 +0800

betelge87 wrote:

> We are trying to develop a script which detects if oracle server is
> running correctly. We have seen that lot of oracle process are running
> and with ps is not easy to know if oracle is really running. On the
> other hand we saw that through sqlplus is possible to start a
> connection and see if oracle is answering. Is there any standard or
> easy way to do this?
>
> Thanks

print "
connect junk/junk
exit" | sqlplus /nolog 1>blah.log 2>&1

then grep blah.log for SP2- ORA- etc, and you'll know whether is up or not.

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."