Re: Oracle 10g RAC performance

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:56:49 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:10:30 +0200, The Boss wrote:

> There will be some companies moving from Oracle to PostgreSQL, others
> will start with PostgreSQL and afterwards maybe will come to the
> conclusion they need Oracle (or DB2 or whatever). In both cases they
> might have a need for someone with skills in both databases.

Basically, what I am complaining about is the tendency to push RAC to everybody. What people don't understand is that adding machines also adds a layer of complexity. I have a lot of experience with Oracle and I needed a lot of help from Gopal when I did my first Oracle 10G/ASM installation. I am very grateful for his help and his book has been of immense help, but RAC is a very complex product. Essentially, RAC makes a good DBA a must. Very few small companies are willing to hire a full time DBA just to manage a database. In addition to that, I once worked for a company that went from Oracle to Postgres, just because they felt that Oracle is too big, too complex and too expensive for them. Wang Trading was a small hedge fund in Norwalk, CT that got rid of both Oracle and me. That sort of things tends to catch my attention. Now, they're out of business, I have no idea why.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com