Re: Oracle 10g RAC performance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:16:30 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:42:09 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> If nothing elsee, the implementation of RAC everywhere, will force a lot
>> of companies selling junk to clean up their schemas and their code.

> Or, to switch to another database. Personally, I am studying PostgreSQL
> as I believe that it will present a serious challenge to Oracle very soon.

Not to start a religious war here but the feature set of all of the open source RDBMS products makes them only suitable for the kinds of projects one might reasonably do in MS Access. For example there isn't a single enterprise application that runs on PostgreSQL and my personal gold standard, dice.com, currently show 17,535 Oracle jobs and only 211 PostgreSQL jobs. If the point is to pay the mortgage you might have better odds forming a rock band.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington