Re: Oracle 10g RAC performance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:46:29 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> On Apr 27, 5:29 am, Robert Jaroszuk <z..._at_iq.no.spam.please.pl> wrote:

>> Hello.
>>
>> How (approximately) performance increase can I expect when i migrate one
>> dual-core Xeon server into two dual-core Xeon servers in RAC ?
>> Do you know any benchmarks comparing vertical-scaling vs
>> horizontal-scaling of Oracle servers?
>>
>> What about two-server RAC vs three-servers RAC ?
>> How performance increase can I expect ? 30% ?
>>

> At Collaborate07 I went to some session about performance case studies
> by a fellow named Gaja (dbperfman.com), and he answered something I
> had been idly wondering about since hearing rumors of people doing it
> at an Openworld a couple of years ago. Namely, dedicating one
> instance to OLTP, and the other to reporting.
>
> Seems when you do that, there might be severe performance degradation
> as the reporting instance is constantly having to query the OLTP
> instance undo to maintain consistency. For a FTS - oops!
>
> I also overheard people talking about Oracle not quite handling "split-
> brain" the way they would like yet... in 11g.
>
> So, as with everything, it depends. Apologies if I'm rumor-mongering.
>
> Hey, nice photos.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Happy to be obscurist.

Given that no one has seen 11g production code it is too early to know how it will handle split-brain.

With respect to running OLTP and reporting on a cluster it would depend on the application. In some cases it might be fine: Partitioning, Hash Clusters, etc. where what is being inserted is not what is being queried.

As with everything else ... it depends.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington