Re: Oracle 10g RAC performance

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2007 14:10:19 -0700

On Apr 27, 5:29 am, Robert Jaroszuk <z..._at_iq.no.spam.please.pl> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> How (approximately) performance increase can I expect when i migrate one
> dual-core Xeon server into two dual-core Xeon servers in RAC ?
> Do you know any benchmarks comparing vertical-scaling vs
> horizontal-scaling of Oracle servers?
>
> What about two-server RAC vs three-servers RAC ?
> How performance increase can I expect ? 30% ?

At Collaborate07 I went to some session about performance case studies by a fellow named Gaja (dbperfman.com), and he answered something I had been idly wondering about since hearing rumors of people doing it at an Openworld a couple of years ago. Namely, dedicating one instance to OLTP, and the other to reporting.

Seems when you do that, there might be severe performance degradation as the reporting instance is constantly having to query the OLTP instance undo to maintain consistency. For a FTS - oops!

I also overheard people talking about Oracle not quite handling "splitbrain"  the way they would like yet... in 11g.

So, as with everything, it depends. Apologies if I'm rumor-mongering.

Hey, nice photos.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.