Re: Oracle 10g RAC performance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:10:10 -0700

Robert Jaroszuk wrote:
> Hello.
>
> How (approximately) performance increase can I expect when i migrate one
> dual-core Xeon server into two dual-core Xeon servers in RAC ?
> Do you know any benchmarks comparing vertical-scaling vs
> horizontal-scaling of Oracle servers?
>
> What about two-server RAC vs three-servers RAC ?
> How performance increase can I expect ? 30% ?
>
> Best regards,

Oracle's published numbers for adding CPUs are roughly 84%. From what I have seen in my lab they are being reasonable. Sometimes I see better and sometimes worse depending on the application.

Which adds up to what Cristian said ... you will need to try your app and determine your own metrics.

The performance of dual-core vs adding a separate CPU I have not tested nor have I seen published metrics.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington