Re: Logical Standby Database 10gR2

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 07:43:19 -0700

tinojam wrote:
> Kindly read the document below from Oracle. Logical standby is a
> viable solution for DR and reporting (based on our requirements)! In
> our situation, no new indexes or materialized views will be created on
> the logical standby db.

I am very familiar with the document. I am also very familiar with statements such as yours that, when put to the test, came up sadly on the wrong side of what actually happened.

In theory you don't need to check your ability to restore from backup tapes on a regular basis either.

Unless the money for those Oracle licenses is coming out of your personal checkbook I think you owe your employer a more balanced presentation with respect to risks and costs.

Just my opinion but I would never, ever, recommend the direction you seem to be heading. If the data has value it should be treated accordingly.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington