Re: FLASH Recovery Area, RMAN and FLASHBACK DATABAE

From: <dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2007 04:40:34 -0700

On Apr 22, 9:02 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 11:58 am, dbaplusp..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I am using Oracle 10.1..0.4 (but could use Oracle 10.2 - latest
> > version) in future ) on
> > Windows 2000 Server. I am currently not using flashback database (have
> > not set flash_recover_area). I am doing backup of database using RMAN/
> > Nebackup on tape.
>
> > I want to use flashback database, so need to set flash recovery area.
> > However, I do
> > not want to put any of RMAN backups in Flash recovery area. I want to
> > continue to use my RMAN backup scripts, which directly write to tape.
>
> > a. Can I Use flash_recovery_area only for storing flash back logs and
> > not for RMAN backup. If yes, how?
>
> The answer to this is in the fine OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery
> Basics
> 10g Release 2 (10.2) manual, sections 5.3.2 and 5.3.5.
>
> > b. Do I need to backup flash recovery area at all? I will use
> > flashback retention target to limit flashback logs.
>
> The answer to this is in the fine OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery
> Basics
> 10g Release 2 (10.2) manual, section 5.3.5.
>
> > c. If I need to backup flash recovery area, how will I backup. Can I
> > use my OS level backup (not RMAN) to backup the folder where
> > flash_recovery_area is.
>
> RTFM, dangit!
>
> > d. If I loss some data in flash recovery area, will my database
> > continue to work fine except I cannot flashback database?
>
> "If the flash recovery area is full, then an archived redo log may be
> automatically deleted by the flash recovery area to make space for
> other files." But if you had read the Basics manual, you'd know that.
>

> > Really appreciate your response, I did read many articles on metalink
> > on flashback database and flash recovery area but did not find answers
> > to my question.
>
> Do you really wonder why you get such abuse here? All of the above
> was found by putting:
> flashback log
> in the search area of tahiti.oracle.com, then clicking on "Rules for
> Retention and Deletion of Flashback Logs"
>
> What may not be obvious from the manuals is that flashback database
> assumes you have a lot of disk compared to your transaction rate,
> because block changes accumulate rapidly. If you are backing to tape,
> that implies you have disk limitations.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> "The first thing I felt on Earth was the smell." - Mikhail Tyurin
Joe:
Thanks. Below are the answers I got from Oracle supportwhich may be useful to others:

ANSWERS

  1. Can I Use flash_recovery_area only for storing flash back logs and not for RMAN backup. If yes, how?
    • Yes you can you flash recovery area only for flashback logs.
    • When you perform RMAN backups in your scenario they will goto tape.
    • Furthermore you are able to set you archive log dest to a location outside the FRA in you wish.
  2. Do I need to backup flash recovery area at all? I will use flashback retention target to limit flashback logs.
    • No you do not have to backup it up.
  3. If I need to backup flash recovery area, how will I backup. Can I use my OS level backup (not RMAN) to backup the folder where flash_recovery_area is.
    • Not needed to backup.
  4. If I loss some data in flash recovery area, will my database continue to work fine e xcept I cannot flashback database?
    • Correct it wil run fine. It will not crash. it will just mean that you can not flash back.
    • there is a restirction however if you reset a GUARNTEED restore point then the DB woulf hang. However this is not the case by default however you should know it's an option. Please look i nto 'restore points'