Logical Standby Database 10gR2

From: tinojam <tinojam_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2007 08:13:44 -0700

We are designing a DR plan for our production database which is a Oracle10gR2 RAC database with three nodes in the cluster. Based on our business requirements and cost constraints we have decided to build a logical standby RAC database (3 nodes) at our remote site. The business wants to use the standby database as a DR database and for reporting, 24X7. That is why I went the logical standby route. I have done the ground work in terms of checking that there are no unsupported data types for the logical standby db and everything checks out.

Now the problem is this: the DBA team went to a presentation and an Oracle representative told them that they need a physical standby and a logical standby database to ensure the logical standby database works. He is saying that he wouldn't recommend having a logical standby db by itself, you need a physical standby database, based on best practices.

Now the DBAs want the design to be changed to accommodate both a logical and physical standby database... extra cost and administration!

Is there anyone out there just using a logical standby database for both reporting and DR without a physical standby?

I have been working with standby databases since Oracle8i and I am sure the design is up to par. I want to get feedback from the group on this... Received on Wed Apr 25 2007 - 10:13:44 CDT