Table Compression, when to use it

From: Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net>
Date: 25 Apr 2007 06:31:01 -0700

9.2.0.5 Ent Ed AIX5L

So I read an article on table compression this morning and it sounds like good stuff. My question is since data is not compressed if you do normal inserts, ie OLTP system, is there any benefit to using it in an OLTP system? We periodically archive tables to a different schema than our production schema, the processes that are used to do this range from out of the box to custom PL/SQL procedures. We also have tables that transactions are aged into, like an open order and closed order table setup.
If I compressed a table then future transactions were inserted using a normal insert into ... statement, would the data that was already compressed stay compressed and the new data would not be compressed? I'm trying to think of a way to benefit from compression and save some disk space and possibly speed up queries on the older data in our oltp & dss systems.

The way I see it the process would go, it may not be worth the effort, just kicking the idea around.

  1. compress archive table, 1 month down the road archive more data into archive table, re-compress archive table, rinse wash repeat.
  2. compress closed orders table, daily transactions get written to closed orders, end of month archive closed orders > 18 months old, re compress closed orders table, rinse, wash, repeat.