Re: ORA-04031 - Which packages should be kept in memory?

From: Alexander Skwar <alexander_at_skwar.name>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:24:15 +0200

Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:

> Alexander Skwar wrote:

>> Hello!
>>
>> All of a sudden, I'm getting ORA-04031 error messages on of my Ora9i
>> databases. On various sites on the internet, like
>> http://www.techonthenet.com/oracle/errors/ora04031.php, I find the
>> following:
>>
>> Use the DBMS_SHARED_POOL package to pin large packages.
>>
>> How do I know or decide, which packages I should KEEP in memory
>> with DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP()? I know that it says to keep "large
>> packages" - but I suppose I should only keep those "packages"
>> which are needed. How do I know, which packages are needed? What
>> is "large"?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alexander Skwar
>
> If you are getting ORA-4031 errors, then you most likely need to
> increase the appropriate memory structure.

I already did that. I increased the shared_pool by 40m, which nearly doubled it. I did not do anything to the SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_SIZE, though. I'll do that.

Anyway, back to my question - how do I know or decide, which "packages" should be kept in memory? And what is "large"?

> Pinning objects in the memory structure is not likely to help if the > memory structure is not large enough to begin with.

How do I determine, what "large enough" is?

Alexander Skwar Received on Wed Apr 25 2007 - 01:24:15 CDT