Re: ORA-04031 - Which packages should be kept in memory?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:33:20 -0500

Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hello!
>
> All of a sudden, I'm getting ORA-04031 error messages on of my Ora9i
> databases. On various sites on the internet, like http://www.techonthenet.com/oracle/errors/ora04031.php,
> I find the following:
>
> Use the DBMS_SHARED_POOL package to pin large packages.
>
> How do I know or decide, which packages I should KEEP in memory
> with DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP()? I know that it says to keep "large
> packages" - but I suppose I should only keep those "packages"
> which are needed. How do I know, which packages are needed? What
> is "large"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander Skwar

If you are getting ORA-4031 errors, then you most likely need to increase the appropriate memory structure. Since you are talking about pinning objects in the Shared Pool, I'm going to assume that the ORA-4031 directly references the Shared Pool. In that case, you may need to increase your SHARED_POOL_SIZE. Additionally, you may need to increase your SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_SIZE if you have large packages.

Pinning objects in the memory structure is not likely to help if the memory structure is not large enough to begin with.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net