Re: Flashback Recovery

From: Arthernan <arthernan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 15:39:57 -0700

On Apr 16, 4:30 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> NetComrade wrote:
> > 2 questions
>
> > a) can someone point to a source that descrives how theflashbackarea
> > actually works
> > b) did anyone ever had to 'flash back' a database in production? I
> > really can't think of a scenario where it would be useful (since it
> > forces you to lose
> > We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> > remove NSPAM to email
>
> FlashbackDatabase is one of the most useful and valuable features
> added in 10g.
>
> Very simply I use it with guaranteed restore points any time we are:
> 1. Patching applications
> 2. Patching the database
> 3. Batch loading
>
> Flashbackis not useful because you use it a lot any more than a
> fire extinguisher is valuable because you use it a lot. They are
> invaluable because they are available for use when required.
>
> As to how theflashbackarea works I would suggest that this is a
> topic too large for a single paragraph in a usenet group and that
> you read the docs athttp://tahiti.oracle.com.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

I have been looking at adding flashback-like functionality to our company system. I can see the benefit from a DBA perspective.

In our case I am most interested on giving this functionality to the end users. But I am hesitant because it seems to require a great deal of DB configuration and it makes the task of looking at history very different. For example I did not see anywhere where you could do a query like this.

Select Employee_name, Salary, DateAdded, DateRemoved from Employee where DateAdded<point_in_time and (DateRemoved>point_in_time or DateRemoved is null)

Now I don't pretend for flashback to work MY way. But for this to work for my end users I would need to show them history at the record level. So they can then pick a sinlge record/transaction and recreate it they need it, or maybe just research changes already made.

Does anybody have experience using Oracle Flashback in a similar way? Received on Mon Apr 23 2007 - 17:39:57 CDT