Re: Memory Limit Imposed on Oracle by Windows?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:21:43 -0700

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> I read a presentataion on Times Ten on your web site and it clearly
> points out differences in memory access and disk access.

There is far more to TimesTen than the difference between memory and disk access. Here are just some of the features that make the difference:

  1. Reduced codepath length
  2. Simplified algorithms and structure
  3. Reduced complexity
  4. No buffer pool management
  5. Smaller index pages
  6. 1/10th the number of machine instructions required

Focusing on just RAM vs Disk is misleading.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington