Re: Memory Limit Imposed on Oracle by Windows?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:31:17 +0200

On 23 Apr 2007 10:06:54 -0700, dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>On Apr 23, 11:38 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>> dbaplusp..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>> > Of couuse there are some overheads which you point out, but how much
>> > CPU ovethead one is talking vs disk based
>> > access. which takes mili seconds . CPU based access takes micro
>> > secinds. Do the math for your application.
>>
>> A lot of people have done the testing. And what you assume is not
>> necessarily the case.
>>
>> Here is one example among many:http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:5...
>>
>> > Those people who advise you to limit memory to 640K or stay away from
>> > large buffer cache are plain wrong. Why there are in memory dataase,
>> > why Oracle has developed/acquired TEN TIMES database, Why in TPC
>> > benchamrks, they use hundreads of GB"s of buffer cache.
>>
>> The reason TimesTen is so fast has little to do with what you assume.
>> It is not just a question of throwing a lot of RAM at the problem. You
>> should study the underlying concepts and architecture before trying to
>> draw a line between the Oracle RDBMS and TimesTen. They are totally
>> different beasts.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
>I read a presentataion on Times Ten on your web site and it clearly
>points out differences in memory access and disk access. I know,
>there are many things to Times Ten, but getting away from disk access
>is one of its main principle.
>
>Throwisng RAM is not always the answer but making good use of RAM
>improves performance, that is my point. 64 bit Oracle is a good
>thing.

Quoting from one your previous drivel contributions

I do not subscrbe to any silver bullet, yet open to taking advnatge of 64 bit Oracle and setting large db_buffer cache.

So you just want to enlarge the buffer cache, don't you? Is that 'good use'?
Wouldn't good use include configuring the keep cache and the recycle cache? Probably you don't even know what it is! So why do you state you don't subscribe to any silver bullet, when that's just a blatant lie?
Because you are a 'dbapluplus' waiting to be proving wrong once again?

Go learn Oracle and stay away here!!!

--

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA