Re: TRanfers DB ORACLE to SQL 2000

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:23:18 -0700

keithjgordon_at_hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> On Apr 21, 10:05 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

>> Rather harsh David. One one of the first rules of working with
>> Microsoft products is not reading. Seems to me he is off to a
>> great start.
>>

> Hello Daniel. Until very recently I would have defended SQL Server
> without knowing anything about Oracle. I have been learning about
> Oracle and feel it is much rich although I do not have yet business
> experience with either of them to justify my statement.
>
> When you program in c# or SQL Server or VB6 which I have done for
> after school, I have not read the manuals and relied on a couple of
> books and Google. One thing about Google is that a reference to the
> Microsoft documentation for what you search on usually is in the first
> 1 or 2 hits of Google. When searching in Oracle, the relevant results
> aren't at the top. Also the search function on Oracles website is
> really bad.
>
> When searching for something in Oracle like creating a table, I
> usually type in "create table site:www.oracle.com" rather than using
> Oracles search functionality on their website.
>
> I think the reason for not reading the Oracle documents are that
> 1. There are so many, which is good, but getting a good search tool
> to get the information you need quickly from them is hard.
> 2. The Oracle website search functionality orders things in an odd
> order which doesn't seem to be most relevant hit first.
> 3. Nowadays people just expect to Google something and have the result
> popup or someone help them not think by posting to a usenet group.
> 4. Nowadays in general people can't be bothered reading the manuals,
> for anything (which includes my TV remote control) so posting to a
> usenet group is easy.
>
> I have tried to read the manuals for Oracle and then only posted to
> this usenet group when asking for help. Thank you for your help
> everyone.
>
> John

The sources for relevant results are rather easy to find methinks:

  1. http://tahiti.oracle.com
  2. http://otn.oracle.com
  3. http://docs.oracle.com
  4. http://asktom.oracle.com
  5. http://www.psoug.org/library.html

and if you purchase Tom Kyte's books and read them, which I believe just about everyone here has done, you will find yourself no longer looking up basic questions. Tom's books are the best: I recommend them to my students.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington