Re: Differences between Oracle,DB2,SQL2005 in cost estimation

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:15:39 -0700

euan.garden_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> I am not aware of person or persons that have done the hard work of
>> Oracle experts such as Jonathan Lewis and Julian Dyke with either DB2
>> orSQL Server.
>>
>> InSQL Server, likely, the tools to do so don't even exist in the
>> product.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> Exist to do what? There is lots of info on the SQL Server QP,
> especially in SQL 2005. I'd start with the Inside SQL Server T-SQL
> Querying, Any docs on the dynamic management views, this blog:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/craigfr/ and there is a new book in the inside
> SQL Server series coming on query optimisation?
>
> -Euan

Pick up a copy of Jonathan Lewis' Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals.

I don't believe the tools exist in the product to allow this type of research.

Not to mention there is no equivalent to X$ anything, GV$ anything, ASH or AWR. The metrics are just are not there to analyze.

Is there a SQL Server equivalent of a 10053 trace?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington