Re: Memory Limit Imposed on Oracle by Windows?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 04:31:06 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:30:08 -0700, dbaplusplus wrote:

> I do not know what you are referring to you on your Web_sites. Standard
> tehniques for sql tuning when you do not have access to source code:
> a. Add indexes
> b. Use materilaized views
> c. Use outln

You can also tweak statistics, move tables around to the less problematic tablespaces, put them in hash clusters and tell the vendor where performance problems are, so they can fix it. There is also a looming threat of the law suit if the vendor doesn't live up to its contract obligations. Vendors are normally reasonable creatures which are interested in keeping you happy. I have no problems with badmouthing the vendors that I perceive as irresponsible or sloppy. On more then one occasion my barbs were directed toward Oracle Corp. and I have been contacted about some of my gripes. In the age of Internet, bad publicity is something that a software vendor really dislikes. If you write something like: "I had a really bad experience with ACME Corp's applications, they were creating performance problems and the vendor declined to help us out" on this group, you may rest assured the ACME Corp. is going to take notice. So, in addition to the variety of tuning techniques, you can always employ some psychological warfare and the threat of bad PR to get vendor's attention. That should, of course, be used only after you contact the vendor and ask them for help. I've recently had some really good experiences with Oracle Corp. and there is one really cool support manager that helped me cut through the red tape.I must say that Oracle support is visibly improving, at least for me. Their support is much better then the support of some other large companies that I've had trouble with.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com