Re: Differences between Oracle,DB2,SQL2005 in cost estimation

From: <euan.garden_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2007 17:07:48 -0700

On Apr 21, 12:59 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Steven wrote:
> > Yeah, actually, I mean the cost based optimization.
> > I think in general they were based on System-R model in calculating
> > the execuation cost.
> > that is: Total cost = i/o cost + cpu cost
>
> > but Is there anything different when to implement this formula?
> > I read this article below
> > Cost Control: Inside the Oracle Optimizer
> > and I am looking for similar articles about other dbms...
> > =========
>
> I am not aware of person or persons that have done the hard work of
> Oracle experts such as Jonathan Lewis and Julian Dyke with either DB2
> orSQL Server.
>
> InSQL Server, likely, the tools to do so don't even exist in the
> product.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Exist to do what? There is lots of info on the SQL Server QP, especially in SQL 2005. I'd start with the Inside SQL Server T-SQL Querying, Any docs on the dynamic management views, this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/craigfr/ and there is a new book in the inside SQL Server series coming on query optimisation?

-Euan Received on Sat Apr 21 2007 - 19:07:48 CDT