Coding Question about user-defined types as parameters

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:46:17 GMT

I have a situation where I have a cursor of a subset of the columns in a table:

For example, if the base_table contains 10 total columns but only have 3 in the cursor as
below:

  CURSOR cr_cursor
  IS

    SELECT column_1,
           column_2,
           column_3
      FROM base_table;

If I want to pass the cursor as a parameter to functions/procedures it seems as if I have to
specifically create a TYPE with hardcoded values for the columns:

  TYPE the_type IS RECORD
   (

      column_1  VARCHAR2(10),
      column_2  VARCHAR2(10),
      column_3  VARCHAR2(10)

    );

Instead of being able to create a TYPE like:

   TYPE the_type cr_cursor%ROWTYPE;

If I create a procedure/function something like:

   PROCEDURE test( p_parameter IN the_type )

Only the first version with the hardcoded columns will successfully compile.

Can anybody shed any light on what I'm doing wrong? Received on Fri Apr 20 2007 - 18:46:17 CDT