MAXQUERYLEN clarification

From: <David.E.M...._at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2007 08:58:30 -0700

I am trying to understand MAXQUERYLEN. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. This is what I know:

MAXQUERYLEN - The length of a query is measured from the cursor open time to the last fetch/execute time of the cursor. Also, I have heard of it as - time for a process to complete, time for a transaction to complete, time for a report to complete, etc.

I ask this because of trouble with my undo space growing and I would like to split up a function to reduce this from happening, but I want to make sure I am on the right track without going further.

The script I would like to split is compiled into the db as a procedure. The script starts by dropping a bunch of tables. Then there is the CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE line followed shortly after by a BEGIN and the last line is an END. Within the procedure there are numerous begin/end blocks. There are also numerous DELETE FROM lines. There are COMMIT statements throughout.

Is MAXQUERYLEN the time it takes for the entire procedure to run? Is MAXQUERYLEN the time it takes between COMMIT statements? Is MAXQUERYLEN the time it takes for the innermost begin/end blocks to complete?
Is MAXQUERYLEN the time it takes for the outermost begin/end blocks to complete?
Is MAXQUERYLEN the time it takes for a single line of sql to complete?

This was probably covered in plsql 101 but I never took that...

Thanks! Received on Thu Apr 19 2007 - 10:58:30 CDT