Re: Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2007 07:38:37 -0700

On Apr 19, 8:50 am, EdStevens <quetico_..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2:24 pm, deepak.kollip..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > Look this is not rocket science, isn't it?
> > > For your shortcuts, the shortcut starts in the proper bin directory.
> > > Oracle_Home will be automagically determined by reading the file
> > > oracle.key, which is present in every Oracle_Home.
> > > This is documented, but I am aware no one reads the documentation, or
> > > wants to spend more than 1 minute.
> > > For DOS sessions, being in this situation myself, I've developed one
> > > cmd file per sid, called init<SID>.cmd. This sets all env vars
> > > appropiately.
> > > Other than that, most of the problems are courtesy of Mickeysoft (for
> > > not providing a proper shell), so you could always switch to a real
> > > O/S.
>
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

> > At last I figured out by myself...Hurrah! this works...Its not rocket
> > science as told by Sybrand..but there are somethings which might have
> > been overlooked upon while reading the documentation...People spend
> > more than 10 hours to figure out a simple problem which might take
> > just a minute to fix..but the knowlegdge of how to fix it is what
> > matters at last...and I agree that there might be people looking our
> > for help without doing anything....Having said that there is no harm
> > in helping out someone who is in need, even if he is just out there
> > for help without trying for himself doesnt hurt anything :-) Just my
> > thoughts...
>
> I'm still curious ... why do you need two clients in the first place?
> It is well established that 32-bit clients will talk to 64-bit db's,
> and vice versa. And unless you get very far afield, even the relative
> versions of the client and db are not a factor .. I've had 8.1 clients
> talking to 10.2 databases.

I'm not sure about the original post, but we have issues with 3rd party software, such as Business Objects that don't like the 64bit client. It is easy on any OS other than windows. My beef is the multi-homing issues on Windows when connecting via 3rd party software that requires a specific client or non-default home. Windows is workable, but it requires additional non-documented knowledge. I have yet to see good Oracle docs on this. Received on Thu Apr 19 2007 - 09:38:37 CDT