Re: Basic query tracing and profiling question...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:46:48 +0100

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2:23 pm, Brian K <brikee..._at_geemail.invalid> wrote:
 > Query V$SQLAREA where the rownum <= 10 and order by last_load_time
> descending to get the 10 most recent queries hitting your database.
> And simply because I didn't tell you before in no way means I
> can't. You STILL have a problem with your configuration that even
> query tuning won't fix. I'm glad you're so unconcerned.
>

> David Fitzjarrell

What problem is that then? The 1 disk that was mentioned here? But we have no way of knowing that the poster has one disk. He does have all his data on one windows volume, but that is really quite a long way from having it on one disk. Given that the 'disk' is 534gb in size formatted with a filesystem on it, in fact, a much more reasonable assumption would be that it was either an array local to the server or a volume on a SAN, if I was going to take a wild punt on the physical disk storage in fact I'd suggest it was most probably on a SAN (since there are 2 quite large volumes here) or else an array of 144gb disks (say 5 in RAID5).

This sort of response is all too typical of this group these days, I'm afraid, someone comes in, asks a question that either betrays that they are inexperienced, or else they state that they are inexperienced, or both and they get a number of acerbic replies before getting one that may or may not answer the question for them - often as not there will be barbs aimed at the organization they work for as well without any real knowledge of the circumstances under which people are working. Abuse of the inexperienced isn't a quality I associate with professionals really.

Finally of course the actual advice here is incomplete for at least two reasons. First translating the query spec you gave

> Query V$SQLAREA where the rownum <= 10 and order by last_load_time
> descending to get the 10 most recent queries hitting your database

would typically translate into the sql statement

select <something> from V$SQLAREA where rownum <= 10 order by last_load_time desc;

which doesn't give the most recent 10 statements at all, it merely orders the first 10 it finds.

Second of course V$SQLAREA doesn't contain all SQL, so it may or may not contain the problem statement(s)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA