Memory Limit Imposed on Oracle by Windows?

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:25:33 GMT

We're running Oracle 10g Release 2 on a Quad Dual Core AMDx64 with 8 GB RAM and a Windows 2003 operating system.

I've been asked to clarify something a co-worker was told concering memory and Windows 2003.

Basically he was told that Windows 2003 places a maximum limit of memory that Oracle can use. For example, if we have 8 GB of RAM the upper limit could be 4GB or so. Is that true or is Oracle able to use as much of the available memory on the server as it is set up to use? I can see where we couldn't configure Oracle to use more memory than was physically available on the server but I'd think that would be the only limitation and not Windows 2003 saying this is all you can use.

Thanks. Received on Wed Apr 18 2007 - 18:25:33 CDT