%CPU column in autotrace - 10gR2

From: tony sheng <tonytsheng_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2007 11:14:45 -0700

Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light about the %CPU column in the output of an autotrace?

For one of my application queries, I tuned it by adding a few indexes - no big deal.
The cost went down to 95 from 492.
Here are the top lines from each autotrace:

Before indexes:

Id  	 Operation                	 Name       	 Rows  	 Bytes 	 Cost
(%CPU)	 Time
0	 SELECT STATEMENT         	            	215	78045	   492   (2)
00:00:06

After indexes:

Id  	 Operation                       	 Name                  	 Rows
	 Bytes 	 Cost (%CPU)	 Time
0	 SELECT STATEMENT                	                       	215
78045	    95  (4)	 00:00:02

What I'm wondering about is the signficance about the %CPU column - although cost went down, it appears that %CPU went up from 2 to 4.

What exactly does that column mean?

Thanks in advance! Received on Wed Apr 18 2007 - 13:14:45 CDT