Re: Oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2007 03:59:08 -0700

On Apr 17, 12:19 pm, 7guru <7..._at_naver.com> wrote:
> oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file.
>
> we have Oracle 10g(10.2.0.1)(HP DL380) databse server from Windows
> 2003 R2 for test/simulation purpose,
> we found that its shutting down the database sometimes unusally
> without any error/warning message in the SID alert log file.
>
> we observerd that the OS service for oracle is not starting the
> datbase server completely.
> Just after hitting start icon inside the services panel it displays
> the status "Starting", instead of "Started"
> and database is not in the "Open" state.
>
> So the method adopted to start the database from services as well
> using the "Startup" command from server manager utility.
>
> Why does this happen?

1 If you shutdown the database shutting the service you issue a shutdown immediate.
If the shutdown immediate doesn't complete within ora_<sid>_shutdown_timeout seconds (defined in the registry), the service will be killed and a shutdown abort will be issued. Shutdown aborts don't leave any traces. It is identical to switching the power off.

2 You need to verify oradim.log in %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE or the alert.log for your database. Usually the problem is reported there.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA