Re: Flashback Recovery

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:30:03 -0700

NetComrade wrote:
> 2 questions
>
> a) can someone point to a source that descrives how the flashback area
> actually works
> b) did anyone ever had to 'flash back' a database in production? I
> really can't think of a scenario where it would be useful (since it
> forces you to lose
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> remove NSPAM to email

Flashback Database is one of the most useful and valuable features added in 10g.

Very simply I use it with guaranteed restore points any time we are:

1. Patching applications
2. Patching the database
3. Batch loading

Flashback is not useful because you use it a lot any more than a fire extinguisher is valuable because you use it a lot. They are invaluable because they are available for use when required.

As to how the flashback area works I would suggest that this is a topic too large for a single paragraph in a usenet group and that you read the docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington