error creating Oracle Text index

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:00:25 -0700

This may be a stupid question, but I've read the FM, searched on the web and in Metalink and I can't find an explanation for this error:

I'm trying to create a context index on a table row in Oracle 10.2.0.2.0 on OpenVMS (Itanium). The table looks like this:

SQL> describe purchase_order_items

 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 PO_NUMBER                                 NOT NULL CHAR(7)
 PO_YEAR                                   NOT NULL NUMBER(4)
 ITEM_NO                                   NOT NULL NUMBER(3)
 QUANTITY                                           NUMBER(9,3)
 UNITS                                              VARCHAR2(20)
 CATALOG_NO                                         VARCHAR2(30)
 DESCRIPTION                                        VARCHAR2(2000)
 UNIT_COST                                          NUMBER(15,4)
 PST_EXEMPT                                         CHAR(1)
 GST_EXEMPT                                         CHAR(1)

I'm trying to create the index on column DESCRIPTION by doing:

create index po_items_context on purchase_order_items(description) index type ctxsys.context
parameters ('FILTER CTXSYS.NULL_FILTER');

but I get the following error:

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-29855: error occurred in the execution of ODCIINDEXCREATE routine
ORA-06521: PL/SQL: Error mapping function
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRUE", line 191
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRUE", line 49
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRUE", line 147
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.TEXTINDEXMETHODS", line 364
ORA-06510: PL/SQL: unhandled user-defined exception
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRVDDL", line 693
ORA-06510: PL/SQL: unhandled user-defined exception
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRVDISP", line 102
ORA-06510: PL/SQL: unhandled user-defined exception
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRVDISP", line 157
ORA-06521: PL/SQL: Error mapping function

I haven't done anything special to setup or change Intermedia (I understood this to not be necessary with 10g). I have given the user the CTXAPP role.

Any pointers to what I might have done wrong would be appreciated. Received on Mon Apr 16 2007 - 15:00:25 CDT