Re: Disadvantages enable row movement

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:25:53 GMT

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 10:41:56 +0200, Matthias Hoys wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Flashback table requires that enable row movement is activated for the
> table. By default, this is disabled. Are there any disadvantages by
> enabling this for all tables (except that the ROWIDs might change) ?
> Couldn't find much about this in the docs or with Google.
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.3.
>
> Matthias

The only disadvantage is logical. ROWID used to be fixed value and I've seen some examples where ROWID has been used as a key to retrieve data, much like it's used in the EXCEPTIONS table. With row movement enabled, that stops making sense. Another situation in which row movement comes into play is partitioning. Row movement must be enabled if you need rows to move between partitions.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com