Re: beginner: on a related note....cursors

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2007 14:03:16 -0700

On 10 avr, 14:07, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Please allow me to explain to you the division between the various
> > > groups in comp.databases.oracle
>
> > > .server is geared at the RDBMS, and SQL
> > > .tools is geared at Oracle frontends
> > > .misc is geared at all non-Oracle products interfacing to Oracle.
> > > .marketplace is for spam ;)
> > > --
>
> > However, note that the information I provided come from
> > the charters of c.d.o.misc and c.d.o.server :
>
> > CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.server
>
> > Comp.databases.oracle.server is a newsgroup to discuss Oracle server
> > and database administration subjects. Any topic which is especially
> > of
> > interest to those performing database or system administration duties
> > is welcome in this group.
>
> > CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.misc
>
> > Comp.databases.oracle.misc is a news group where topics generally
> >related
> > to the use of software from Oracle Corporation may be posted. This
> > group
> > provides a forum for topics which do not fall within any of the more
> > specific
> > comp.databases.oracle subgroups.
>
> > Sources :
>
> > http://orafaq.com/usenet/charter1.htm
> > http://orafaq.com/usenet/charter3.htm
>
> > May I know where exactly I messed up ?
>
> > Thanks
>

> I'm not sure. I don't recall this is the original distinction, and I
> don't agree with the Orafaq definition. I'm positive
> comp.databases.oracle wasn't renamed to comp.databases.oracle.misc, in
> fact it existed until last year.
> So I am afraid the moderator of orafaq made something up, and one
> would need to go back to the original ballot, to confirm the
> distinction which was made at that time.
> On average however, I have a very good memory, so I'm positive I am
> correct.

Interesting....

I did a bit of archeology.... The charters as available on orafaq have been posted in c.od.server and c.o.d.misc in 1996

  http://tinyurl.com/2xv23e
  http://tinyurl.com/23tko6

To get a feeling of actual usage, I classified the best I could the threads still available on my newsfeed.. The results are :

                                            c.d.o.server   c.d.o.misc
Oracle administration                 48               0
Oracle non-administration           19               14
Interaction Third-party/Oracle       5                3
Other                                         3                3
Overlap (execution plans)             2                0