Re: Morons in the oracle land (and list)

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:23:49 -0400

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:58:44 GMT, Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net> wrote:

>Question: is there any other DBA on this group who has suffered because
>of idiots trained on SQL Server and convinced that all databases are the
>same? Anybody else here who thinks that the application code should
>include DDL and who didn't know how to use REF cursors? I am not as gifted
>as Heinlein was but I am entertaining the thought of publishing my next
>article about being a DBA in the The Register. I will officially start
>collecting war stories from this group and from the oracle-l. Those
>among you who know why I chose The Register are cordially invited to
>contribute a story or two.

I have spoke to an oracle dba yesterday that insisted that using bind variables would enhance IO by not using too much _buffer cache_ to store SQL :). At least he knew bind vars are (generally) good. .......
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Apr 13 2007 - 15:23:49 CDT