Re: Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:07:28 +0200

On 13 Apr 2007 11:47:08 -0700, "EscVector" <Junk_at_webthere.com> wrote:

>On Apr 13, 2:12 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>> On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollip..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>>
>> >I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and
>> >64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net
>> >Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP-
>> >UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before?
>>
>> >If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to
>> >configure the same.
>>
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >Deepak.
>>
>> Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without
>> problem.
>> Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install
>> them in 2 different Oracle homes
>> Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the
>> installation documentation onhttp://otn.oracle.comorhttp://tahiti.oracle.comboth reachable fromhttp://www.oracle.com
>> Fact: you were even too lazy to typewww.oracle.comin your browser
>> and hit the documentation button.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
>The oracle documentation does not cover how to run two clients on
>windows with the default windows configuration. It isn't as simple as
>setting up two clients on any other environment. The oracle home
>selector in windows simply switches the PATH entry order. This is a
>major problem for clients that use these settings. You have links
>pasted, but the links don't point to the specific documentation and
>they are generic. What docs outline multi-homing on windows with 32
>and 64 bit clients and configuring applications to use a particular
>client?

Look this is not rocket science, isn't it? For your shortcuts, the shortcut starts in the proper bin directory. Oracle_Home will be automagically determined by reading the file oracle.key, which is present in every Oracle_Home. This is documented, but I am aware no one reads the documentation, or wants to spend more than 1 minute.
For DOS sessions, being in this situation myself, I've developed one cmd file per sid, called init<SID>.cmd. This sets all env vars appropiately.
Other than that, most of the problems are courtesy of Mickeysoft (for not providing a proper shell), so you could always switch to a real O/S.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA