Re: XMLType performance

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2007 11:14:50 -0700

On Apr 13, 8:51 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > Now, Daniel says never store XML in the DB,
>
> If I did I didn't intend to. I've no problem with XML stored in the
> database if it is done as document storage in the same manner in
> which I would store a .PDF or .MPG file.

Apologies, I read it into your statements "I would never store XML inside a database if it could be reconstituted on demand.
Without knowing the full set of requirements my initial reaction would be ... never store XML. "
and "...the right job for XML is the one it was designed for which was not database storage. If the point of storing XML is document storage I'd suggest PKZIP or a compressed BLOB column."

> What I object to is storing XML as active content to be updated and
> queried.
>
> > and I think your tax
> > example is perhaps a good refutation of that. The IRS stores each
> > data element with an XML tag
>
> That is about as good an argument as an I can think of for not doing it.

Now now, it's easy to make fun of the gummint, and nobody likes the tax man, but you have to admit, the IRS actually does a pretty good job these days, technically and functionally. If they did any better people might _really_ not like them.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Bugs 5844786 (PLSQL RETURNS WRONG DATA FROM ANOTHER SCHEMA) and