Re: rman dr testing

From: Keith <kknauss_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2007 10:22:17 -0700

chris b wrote:
> I am working on a rac cluster on oracle10g using ASM & would like to
> simulate loosing parts of the database.
>
> I can use set newname for datafiles / how can I simulate loosing the
> control files and redo logs ( seperately & together ) through RMAN?
> Ideally I'd like to use some rename functionality that would allow me
> to revert back to my starting point if need be.
>
> regards
> Chris B

How does newname simulate loosing part of your database? I don't understand your question, and I'm not sure it makes sense. If you want to DR test, backup your database and then restore and recover it. If you want to "revert" then restore it on another system. Why not create a sandbox for your testing? Then, if you want to simulate loosing controlfiles and redo logs, you can use rm or dd or something.

For DR purposes, you should put some thought into rebuilding ASM and your cluster. Also, if you're using CRS, you may want to test recovering after loss of the cluster or voting disk. Received on Fri Apr 13 2007 - 12:22:17 CDT