Re: Please can someone compile a small .pc program for me ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:44:26 -0700

devalos_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Not wanting to come across as insulting here...
>
> But I will give you a friendly warning.
>
> You are asking someone who you do not know to compile code for
> you. From there you intend to install and run said code. Let's back
> up one sentence... "YOU ARE ASKING SOMEONE WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW TO
> COMPILE CODE FOR YOU."
>
> In case it isn't 100% obvious what I am getting at here.
>
> Do not do this, you have no idea what will be in this compiled
> code!

Your point is well made but perhaps should be made more explicitly.

Mark ... if you let someone else compile your code there are some very serious considerations.

  1. You have no idea what they compiled nor any way of knowing if it contains additional code that will compromise your system.
  2. You learn nothing.

Why not ask someone to point you to a reference to help you learn how to improve your skill set?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington