Re: getting the nearest number from a column

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2007 15:24:13 -0700

> Where is written that without order by clause functions that actually
> can use windowing clause returns value for all the partition?

In the database warehousing guide, table 21-1, notice how MAX is both a windowing function and a reporting function...

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14223/analysis.htm#i1014372

Tom Kytes has a nice (and clear :-) chapter on analytic functions in Expert Oracle

P.S. I dont know why FIRST_VALUE / LAST_VALUE are not also classified as reporting functions. Also, the order_by clause should probably have been mandatory in the spec of windowing functions... Received on Thu Apr 12 2007 - 17:24:13 CDT