Re: Slightly OT: Size of Oracle vs MS SQL database tables

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:38:01 -0700

Michael L. Squires wrote:
> I'm working at a place where we're moving from an Oracle 10g environment to
> a mixed Oracle/MS SQL Server 2005 environment. (Main reason is cost; the
> Oracle software bid was five times the MS bid).

There is something seriously wrong with the bidding process if that is true. 500% doesn't even come close to corresponding with reality.

To get that kind of range you'd have to be comparing Oracle Enterprise Edition with Partitioning Option and RAC to Microsoft's bottom-of-the-barrel offering.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington